Links to Love:
- Nine literary heroines we should try to try to be more like.
- And speaking of literary heroines, Jenny’s Etsy shop has two new ones! Mary Poppins & Sara Crewe – they’ve joined the other ladies on Ava’s literary heroine banner.
- A trip down memory lane with Ava’s first year video compilation from last year. I love this. I started one for year two but it got away from me. Maybe I’ll finish it someday.
- Hey hey hey hey…we had a baby! Owen’s birth story is here. He is such a little dreamboat and we’re all crazy about him. He’s growing on Ava too. She was too busy at first to care much about this new little human in the house, but I think she’s figured out that he’s here to stay and she’s starting to take more of an interest. It’s sweet to see her lean in slowly and kiss his head. I hope they’ll be great friends someday.
- Ava’s spica cast came off! Four days post baby, we took our first baby to have the cast removed and a brace put on. Ava has learned to sit, scoot, and crawl in the brace and she’s loving her newfound freedom and independence. It’s fun to have little messes around the house to show where she has been playing. Don’t take for granted the path of destruction a toddler can leave in their wake – it’s far more upsetting when they aren’t able to move around on their own.
- Ava’s birthday was in late October and we had a great day. I want to write more about it in another post, but as a quick recap, she got to decorate her own birthday cake, eat stroganoff and ice cream – her favorites, and received so many awesome toys, including a little doll playhouse that she has been coveting. We loved celebrating with her. She is such a blessing.
- We went to a Halloween party organized by the “cul de sac crew” neighborhood friends. Ava was a black cat and she was the cutest little human black cat I’ve ever seen.
- In October I finished Persuasion by Jane Austen (4 stars) and The Cafe by the Sea by Jenny Colgan (3 stars).
- I’m currently listening to Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool and reading Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I also just started Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I need to get with it if I want to finish re-reading the Harry Potter series this year.
- Kevin finished American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt for the Criminal Mastermind Behind the Silk Road and gave it 5 stars.
- Kevin is currently reading Naked by David Sedaris and HBR’s 10 Must Reads on Leadership. He just downloaded Vengeance by Newt Gingrich and will start listening to it soon.
- Ava has been loving Llama Llama and her Nelly Gnu book.
- The month was full of happiness but also had some challenges. Postpartum emotions were running wild, we had to adjust to sleeping in three hour (at most) chunks of time, and the brace was something new and different after our comfort zone of the cast. There were a lot of tears – and they weren’t just from the newborn and the toddler. Fortunately Kevin has managed to keep his eyes dry or we’d probably all float away from the amount of crying around here!
- We made these honey garlic chicken thighs and it was FAR TOO SALTY for my taste. Kevin said he liked them and he does like things saltier than I do, but I think he was just being polite because see above (lots of crying).
- This slow cooker chili was really, really good. We’ll definitely be making it again. I used one can of kidney beans and one can of black beans rather than two cans of kidney beans and I’d do that again. I also used some tomatoes grown by my aunt and freshly canned by my aunt, mom, and great aunt. They were super good – so fresh!
- This paprika chicken and rice meal was delicious!! I’ll broil the chicken thighs for a few minutes next time to crisp up the skins (they recommend it in the recipe but I didn’t take the time to do so), but other than that, we both really loved the dish. Served it with roasted zucchini, yellow squash, and brussels sprouts. Hearty and pretty healthy!
- Another slow cooker winner – this Poor Man’s Stew was tasty. I added whole mushrooms and they were a great addition.
How was your October?