2015 is over half over, which is unbelievable to me. It seems high time that I check in on the year’s to-do list that Kevin and I created for ourselves. We still have plenty to do this year, but we’re making great progress on all fronts and have crossed off two of the biggest (and most expensive) items!
2. K: Read a classic.
He has a few in mind as options. He’s in the middle of David McCullough’s Truman right now which is 900+ pages and quite the commitment. But the classics are on his radar.
3. A: Do all Christmas shopping in local/independent stores or give homemade stuff. Like crocheted scarves, vanilla extract (inspired by Tiffany, who gave me homemade vanilla extract for Christmas 2014!), or hot pepper oil (inspired by Allie, who blogged about it here).
I haven’t made too much progress on this, but there are still plenty of shopping days to Christmas. The problem is that there seem to be fewer crafting days to Christmas…. My goal for July is to start some mint extract a-brewin’ with the mint we’ve been growing in our garden!
4. A: Read 52 books. (Bonus points if I manage to complete this 2015 reading challenge, which I think is only – ha! – 50 books….thanks, Tiffany, for sharing the idea!)
I’m on track to finish this one! I think I’m on book 40 right now (Pride and Prejudice – for the category “a classic love story”). My most recent check in post is here, if you’re interested.
5. A: Blog 104 posts.
I’ve only poster 41 times this year and the summer fever blog hiatus is not helping. I guess I need to step it up!
6. K & A: Fund IRA’s for the year.
In progress & done. Kevin takes the automatically-send-money-to-the-IRA-with-each-paycheck approach and I write a lump sum check. So he’s over half funded for the year and I made the contribution in April.
7. K & A: Complete at least one home improvement project. (New tile downstairs, master bathroom, shelves in the garage…)
Boy howdy, have we ever! We started the year with a new furnace (out of necessity), then we did our tile replacement in June. Eight new windows are being installed this week, and we’re ripping out the wet bar and replacing it with built-in bookshelves and storage this week or next. We also have some shelves for the garage and they WILL be installed this year so that we can get that mess organized.
8. K & A: Run a 5k.
I was a lazy bum and didn’t run a 5K (or even work on training for one) at the beginning of the pregnancy or pre-pregnancy and I won’t even pretend that it’ll happen this year after the baby is born. So Kevin has selflessly volunteered to run two 5K’s this year and we’ll call it good. He’s planning on one in September and maybe one in August.
9. K: Smoke a rack of ribs or a brisket.
My mom gave Kevin a brisket (we get all our beef from my parents, who have cattle), and he’s excited to use the smoker attachment on the grill. This seems like a good fall activity.
10. K & A: Take a road trip to a historic destination in New Mexico.
We have a few ideas on where to travel. Some are day trip and some are overnight. We’ll probably do the former, but that still leaves us with plenty of options. There are so many cool historic destinations in this state!
11. K & A: Try 10 new restaurants.
We have tried 4 new restaurants together. Each of us have tried new restaurants separately this year as well, but we’re only counting the ones we go to together.
12. K & A: Try 15 new recipes.
We’ve tried 9 new recipes. It’s hard to be motivated to cook in the summer! I think we’ll finish this goal off in the fall/winter.
13. K: Start and complete an entire workout program.
He’s researching 5K training programs now, so that could count, but he has also been working his way through a strength training program.
14. K: Take a golf continuing ed class or attend three golf lessons.
Kevin has checked the schedule for CE golf classes, and that could be an option in the fall. Otherwise, he’ll easily be able to attend three golf lessons at a club in town.
15. A: Host a theme party.
Leann and I are in the very early stages of planning a cocktail/mocktail (can you guess which part of that duo I’m in charge of?) party withthe “Favorite Things” theme.
Did you set some goals for 2015? If so, are you making good progress?