It’s time to recap the year. I say that like this is a tradition that has been honored for some lengthy span of time, when in reality it’s a brand new thing.
I’m going to choose 12 significant events that happened in 2012 while I was not blogging.
And now – the list. (In no particular order…)
1. I was briefly obsessed with a little thing called BarreFusion. Like most obsessions, it threatened to overtake life and I burnt out. But not before I managed to get some excellent tone to my arms. The guns looked good….
2. Tenants moved into the investment property in February. I moved in with my then-boyfriend in October of 2011, and found a property management company to rent out my house. Here’s to using rent income to make the mortgage payment.
3. I opened and funded a Roth IRA. My parents were/are both top-notch savers. I didn’t stand a chance. And the fact that this was one of the 12 most significant occurrances in the year is only very nerdy.
4. Traveled to Vegas with my mom and sister to celebrate my little sister’s 21st birthday. We went to Pawn Stars, walked the strip, ate some delicious food, watched the water & lights show at the Bellagio, visited the wax museum, and played some blackjack at 4 AM. You know – the typical Vegas stuff. And we drank a lot of water. Yeah. Water.
5. We discovered one of our cats has a heart condition. Cue sadness. :( Fortunately, we have her on some good medicine and regular appointments with an excellent cardiologist. She still lives the good life, let me assure you.
6. K gifted me with tickets to see Wicked in Denver. I am obsessed with the Wicked soundtrack. I frequently break out into song. “Popular…you’re gonna be popular. I’ll teach you the proper poise when you talk to boys, little ways to flirt and flounce. Ooo, I’ll show you what shoes to wear, how to fix your hair, everything that really counts to be popular…” I could go on. But I won’t. Except in my head. Where that song will be for the remainder of the day.
And to prove I had a well-rounded cultural experience at the theatre through the year, I also attended a Sleeping Beauty ballet, Les Miserables, Dralion (a Cirque du Solei show), Texas, and Cats. Quite the variety!
7. Visited my little sister in her college town. One of the coolest things I did this year was spend time with her in the place that has become the home to her that Stillwater was to me. I’m so proud of how well she has done there.
8. It was the year of the wedding. One of my best friends was wed in Napa wine country in April, and another friend had a gorgeous wedding in Costa Rica in August. I also ventured back to Oklahoma (my old university state) a few times (twice in July and once in September) for two weddings and a bachelorette party. And there were a few local weddings as well.
9. All those weddings must have inspired my (then) sweet and wonderful boyfriend. He proposed on Labor Day! It was the most perfect proposal. I couldn’t have dreamed up anything better. White lights, rose petals, tea candles. He asked my stepdad for permission to ask me, he involved my best friend in the proposal and received her approval on the ring, which he picked out while I was completely oblivious to the idea that a proposal was in the works. After he got down on one knee and asked, I thought about it for oh, a millionth of a second or so, and gave him a “YES – of course”.
I hate to play favorites in this 2012 recap – but come on – what could possibly compete with that?
10. I joined the Junior League chapter here in town. The reason? I wanted a structured means of giving back to the community and to get out of my rut by meeting some wonderful ladies. Joining the organization was a very good decision – I am having such a good time and am looking forward to many more years of community and friendships.
11. Halloween 2012 was spent with a mustache. I dressed up as Sonny Bono and my neighbor at work (with whom I always coordinate Halloween costumes) was Cher. It was epic. And I’m not just talking about the mustache.
12. When I reflect back on 2012, a lot of little things come to mind. The traditions that somehow became traditions because they simply fit my life as it is now. Sunday breakfast with my great-aunts and great-uncles. Sunday dinner with my future in-laws. (Yes, I eat well on Sundays.) Canasta with other aunts. Early morning phone conversations with my mom as I drive to work. Friday night dinner of sandwiches from a local pizza/sub/salad place. K and I making our way through seasons of Friends, Breaking Bad, How I Met Your Mother, 24…one episode after another. Picking out new recipes each week to try out. Those are the things that made my year so good, day in and day out.
2012, you’ve been mighty good to me.
What are your 12 in ’12? Big, small, exciting, routine…how was your year?